Indonesia’s navy has declared its missing submarine had sunk and cracked open after finding items from the vessel over the past two days, apparently ending hope of finding any of the 53 crew members alive.
Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said the presence of an oil slick as well as debris near the site where the submarine last dove Wednesday off the island of Bali were clear proof the KRI Nanggala 402 had sunk. Indonesian officials earlier considered the vessel to be only missing, but said the submarine’s oxygen supply would have run out early Saturday.
Navy Chief of Staff Adm. Yudo Margono said at a press conference in Bali, If it’s an explosion, it will be in pieces. The cracks happened gradually in some parts when it went down from 300 meters to 400 meters to 500 meters. … If there was an explosion, it would be heard by the sonar.”
The navy previously said it believes the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700 meters (2,000-2,300 feet), much deeper than its collapse depth of 200 meters (655 feet), at which point water pressure would be greater than the hull could withstand.
“With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the sub miss’ phase to sub sunk,” Margono said at the press conference, in which the found items were displayed.
The cause of the disappearance was still uncertain. The navy had previously said an electrical failure could have left the submarine unable to execute emergency procedures to resurface.
Report by Chetali S M
Reported on – 25/04/2021
“I love the way South India film industry not touching hearts but also crushing the charts”-Armaan Malik
Mumbai’s, Rajawadi hospital treats a newborn and his sister with rare disease
PM Modi to address UN General Assembly on his visit to US